Standard III – Duties of Clients
This standard has 5 parts:
A. Loyalty, prudence, and Care
Members have a duty of loyalty to their clients and must act with reasonable care and exercise prudent judgment. Members and Candidates must act for the benefit of their clients and place their clients’ interest before their employer’s or their own interest.
B. Fair Dealing
Members and Candidates must deal fairly and objectively with all clients when providing investment analysis, making investment recommendations, taking investment action, or engaging in other professional activities.
- Before making an investment recommendation or action, the members must reasonably enquire into the client’s investment experience, his risk/return objectives, and any limitations.
- Before making an investment recommendation or action, the members must determine that the investment being advised is suitable for the client in terms of the client’s objectives, financial goals, and limitations.
- The member must also ascertain whether the investment being recommended is suitable in context of the client’s overall portfolio.
D. Performance Presentation
The members must ensure that the investment performance being communicated to the clients is fair, accurate, and complete.
E. Preservation of Confidentiality
The members must maintain the confidentiality of all their clients’ information (pas, current, or prospective), unless there is some illegal activity, a requirement from the law, or the client itself permits disclosure.
Get smart about tech at work.
As a non-technical professional, learn how software works with simple explanations of tech concepts. Learn more...
- CFA Institute Professional Conduct Program
- Six Components of the Code of Ethics
- Seven Standards of Professional Conduct
- Standard I - Professionalism (Standards of Professional Conduct)
- Standard II – Integrity of Capital Markets
- Standard III – Duties of Clients
- Standard IV – Duties to Employers
- Standard V – Investment Analysis, Recommendations, and Actions
- Standard VI – Conflicts of Interest
- Standard VII – Responsibilities of a CFA Institute Member or CFA Candidate