- CFA Level 2: Financial Reporting Part 1 - Introduction
- Financial Reporting: Important Definitions
- FIFO and LIFO Methods for Inventory Expensing
- Inventory Accounting and Financial Statements
- Inflation/Deflation and Inventory Accounting Analysis
- LIFO – Tax and Cash Flow Note
- LIFO Reserve and Converting LIFO Net Income to FIFO Net Income
- LIFO Liquidation
- Inventory at Net Realizable Value
- Impacts of LIFO and FIFO Inventory Methods on Selected Financial Ratios
- Accounting of Long-lived Assets - Expensing vs. Capitalizing
- Depreciation Methods for Property, Plant, and Equipment (PPE)
- Impact of Depreciation Method
- Depreciation - Important Points
- Impairment of Long-lived Assets
- Impact of Asset Impairment
- Revaluation of Property, Plant, & Equipment (PPE)
- Leasing versus Purchasing Assets
- Traditional Lessee Accounting in US GAAP
- Effects of Leases on Selected Financial Reporting Items for Lessees
- Lessor Accounting for Leases
- Lessors and Sales-Type Capital Leases
- Lessors and Direct Financing Capital Leases
- Effect of Leases on Financial Statements for Lessors
- Future of Lease Accounting
- CFA Level 2: Financial Reporting 1 - Recommendations
Revaluation of Property, Plant, & Equipment (PPE)
- US GAAP does not permit firms to revalue the fixed assets on their balance sheets.
- International standards may allow for revaluation if certain conditions are met or guidelines are followed, but the analyst may face challenges if companies regulated by different standards apply different techniques to revalue assets.
- A financial analyst may need to revalue a company’s reported asset base in order to perform proper due-diligence when analyzing the firm for debt and/or equity valuation purposes.
- If the analyst revises a company’s balance sheet asset values in an upward manner, then the analyst’s near term financial forecast for the company should show a decline in profit and asset turnover, as the firm is believed to be publicly reporting an insufficient depreciation expense. The higher asset base will drive a lower ROA.
This content is for paid members only.
Join our membership for lifelong unlimited access to all our data science learning content and resources.