- CFA Level 2: Derivatives Part 2 – Introduction
- Introduction to Options
- Synthetic Options and Rationale
- One Period Binomial Option Pricing Model
- Call Option Price Formula
- Binomial Interest Rate Options Pricing
- Black-Scholes-Merton (BSM) Option Pricing Model
- Black-Scholes-Merton Model and the Greeks
- Dynamic Delta Hedging & Gamma Related Issues
- Estimating Volatility for Option Pricing
- Put-Call Parity for Options on Forwards
- Introduction to Swaps
- Plain Vanilla Interest Rate Swap
- Equity Swaps
- Currency Swaps
- Swap Pricing vs. Swap Valuing
- Pricing and Valuing a Plain Vanilla Interest Rate Swap
- Pricing and Valuing Currency Swaps
- Pricing and Valuing Equity Swaps
- Swaps as Theoretical Equivalents of Other Derivatives
- Swaptions and their Valuation
- Swap Credit Risk and Swap Spread
- Interest Rate Derivatives - Caps and Floors
- Credit Default Swaps (CDS)
- Credit Derivative Trading Strategies
Put-Call Parity for Options on Forwards
An option can be created for a forward contract.
Recall that at contract initiation a forward will have a value of zero.
European options on forwards will have the same price as European options on futures contracts; but American options on forwards will have a different price from American options on futures.
The payoff values for options on forwards are:
Call payoff = Max[0,ST-X]
Put payoff = Max [0,X-ST]
ST = Underlying's price at expiration
X = Strike price of option
- Put-Call Parity for Options on Forwards:
p0 = c0 + ((X - F(0,T))/(1+rF)T)
p0 = Today's price for a European put on a futures contract
c0 = Today's price for a European call on a futures contract
X = The strike price
F(0,T) = Price at time "0" for a forward expiring at time "T"
X - F(0,T) = The face value in long position of a zero coupon bond
Excluding storage costs, F(0,T) can be substituted with the formula for pricing a forward: S0(1+rF)T
With the put call parity formula and forward pricing formula, investors can apply the put call parity relationship to exploit mispricings.
This content is for paid members only.
Join our membership for lifelong unlimited access to all our data science learning content and resources.