- CFA Level 2: Corporate Finance Part 1 – Introduction
- Introduction to Capital Structure and Leverage
- Introductory Capital Budgeting Remarks
- Expansion Projects vs. Replacement Projects and Cash Flows
- Impacts of Depreciation Method Choice on Capital Budget Analysis
- Inflation and Capital Budgeting
- Mutually Exclusive Capital Projects with Unequal Lives
- Equivalent Annual Annuity (EAA) Approach
- Least Common Multiple of Lives Approach
- Stand Alone Risk and Capital Projects
- CAPM and a Capital Project’s Discount Rate
- Capital Projects and Real Options
- Common Pitfalls in Capital Budgeting
- Capital Budgeting Alternatives to NPV and IRR Analysis
- Modigliani-Miller and Capital Structure Theory
- Evaluating Capital Structure Policy
- International Differences in Financial Leverage
- Dividend and Share Repurchase Policies
- Factors Affecting Corporate Dividend Policy Decisions
- Signals from Dividend Policies
Signals from Dividend Policies
- Commonly announcement of cash dividend payment increases are viewed by the investing community as a positive development and that management believes earnings will increase in the future.
- Alternatively, some investors may interpret a dividend increase announcement as a sign that a firm cannot find attractive investment opportunities. This interpretation may be relevant when a firm’s industry is transitioning from a growth to a mature stage.
- Alternatively, when a company announces that it is cutting its dividend payments, this is viewed by investors as a negative.
- Example: As the financial crisis of 2008 began to take shape, publicly traded U.S. banks began to announce dividend payment reductions in anticipation of mounting losses on their real estate loan portfolios.
- The reactions to dividend changes above largely reflect U.S. investor sentiment and investing cultures in other countries may react differently to announced increases or cuts to dividend payments.
This content is for paid members only.
Join our membership for lifelong unlimited access to all our data science learning content and resources.