Dodd-Frank Act - Title IX: Investor Protections and Improvements to the Regulation of Securities
This title is also known as the ‘‘Investor Protection and Securities Reform Act of 2010’’.
Subtitle A: Increasing Investor Protection
Investor Advisory Committee:
The Investor Advisory Committee will advise and consult with the Commission on:
- Regulatory priorities of the Commission
- Issues relating to the regulation of securities products, trading strategies, and fee structures, and the effectiveness of disclosure;
- Initiatives to protect investor interest;
- Initiatives to promote investor confidence the integrity of the securities marketplace
- It will then submit to the Commission such findings, recommendations and proposed legislative changes as the Committee finds appropriate.
The members of the Committee will include the Investor Advocate, a representative of State securities commissions, a representative of the interests of senior citizens and not fewer than 10, and not more than 20, members appointed by the Commission, from among individuals who represent the interests of individual equity and debt investors, including investors in mutual funds, represent the interests of institutional investors, including the interests of pension funds and registered investment companies. These members need to be knowledgeable about investment issues and decisions.
The studies needed to be undertaken as part of this title are:
Study and rulemaking regarding obligations of brokers, dealers, and investment advisers
The scope of the Commission’s study will be to evaluate the effectiveness of existing legal or regulatory standards of care for brokers, dealers, and investment advisers, persons associated with brokers or dealers. An assessment of whether there are legal or regulatory gaps in the protection of retail customers relating to the standards of care for brokers, dealers, investment advisers, persons associated with brokers or dealers.
This content is for paid members only.
Join our membership for lifelong unlimited access to all our data science learning content and resources.